Top 5 Food trends of 2023
The food world in India is constantly evolving and adapting to new tastes, preferences, and challenges. Some of the trends that are likely to dominate the food scene in India in 2023 are:
- Millets: Millets are ancient grains that have been grown and consumed in India for ages, but they have been overshadowed by rice and wheat in the modern diet. However, millets are making a comeback as smart foods that can address the issues of food security, nutrition security, climate change, and farmer welfare². Millets are gluten-free, low-glycemic, high-fiber, and nutrient-rich cereals that offer many health benefits². They are also drought-tolerant and require less water and inputs than other crops². Millets are being promoted by the government, research institutions, private sector, civil society, and media through various initiatives such as declaring 2023 as the International Year of Millets². Millets are also being used to create new products such as millet flour, millet pasta, millet cookies, millet snacks, and millet beverages².
- Cell-based meat: Cell-based meat is meat grown from animal cells in a lab without slaughtering animals. It is seen as a potential solution to reduce animal suffering, environmental impact, and health risks associated with conventional meat production¹. India has seen some developments in this field recently, such as the launch of ClearMeat , India's first cell-based meat company¹.
- No BS nutrition: No BS nutrition is a trend that emphasizes eating whole foods that are minimally processed and free from artificial additives or preservatives. It also rejects fad diets that restrict certain food groups or nutrients or promise quick weight loss. Instead, it advocates for eating intuitively and mindfully according to one's needs and preferences. No BS nutrition is based on scientific evidence and common sense rather than marketing hype or misinformation³.
- Spiced cocktails: Spiced cocktails are cocktails that use spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, clove, ginger, turmeric, saffron, pepper, nutmeg etc. to add flavor and aroma. Spices can also enhance the health benefits of cocktails by providing antioxidants , anti-inflammatory , digestive , and immune-boosting properties⁴. Spiced cocktails are becoming more popular among consumers who seek new and exotic tastes and experiences. Some of the examples of spiced cocktails are masala chai martini , turmeric margarita , ginger mojito , saffron gin fizz , etc.⁴.
- Fermented Indian cuisine: Fermented foods have been a part of the Indian culinary heritage for centuries, but they are gaining more popularity and recognition in recent times. Fermented foods such as dosa, idli, appam, idiyappam, dhokla, kanji, pickle, chutney, and yogurt are not only delicious but also nutritious and beneficial for gut health¹. Chefs and restaurants are experimenting with new ways of incorporating fermented foods into their menus, such as lacto-fermented ice creams, fermented rice cakes, and fermented vegetable salads¹.
- Cloud kitchens: Cloud kitchens are delivery-only restaurants that operate without a physical storefront or dine-in facility. They rely on online platforms and apps to reach customers and offer a variety of cuisines and dishes. Cloud kitchens have become more popular during the pandemic due to the increased demand for food delivery and the reduced cost of operations¹.
These are some of the food trends that will continue or emerge in India in 2023. They reflect the changing preferences , needs , and challenges of the Indian consumers who seek more variety , quality , convenience , health , and sustainability in their food choices.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 10/5/2023
(1) The future of food as predicted by 10 Indian tastemakers in 2022. https://www.vogue.in/culture-and-living/content/the-future-of-food-as-predicted-by-10-indian-tastemakers-food-trends-2022.
(2) Food Trends Of 2022: 10 foods that will trend in 2022 ... - Times of India. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/food-news/10-foods-that-will-trend-in-2022-and-this-is-why/photostory/87762877.cms.
(3) What will be on our plates? Food trends that will continue in 2022 .... https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/food-wine/yearender-food-trends-2022-zorawar-kalra-ranveer-brar-priyam-chatterjee-7689800/.
(4) Top Food Trends 2022 | LBB. https://lbb.in/mumbai/biggest-food-trends-in-the-coming-year/.
- 9 grams,
- cloud kitchen,
- international year of millets,
- mock meat,
- top 5 food trends in india,